Sunday 5 June 2011

Character profiles: Cass Murray, Maxine Webb and Matt Fellowes



CASS MURRAY
How would you describe yourself in five words?
I am what I am.
What is your star sign? ? (Please refer to the characteristics list provided.)
Gemini. I’m supposed to be adaptable, versatile, communicative, witty, intellectual, eloquent, youthful, lively, nervous, tense, superficial, inconsistent, cunning and inquisitive.  It’s like loads of words on fridge magnets that could apply to anybody.  I don’t believe in all that mumbo-jumbo.  Somebody invents this stuff and we’re all supposed to get paranoid everytime a planet leap frogs a star or something.  As I said, I am what I am.
What is your favourite colour?
I like bright colours like yellow and orange, you know, nice happy colours.  But, I’ll be greedy and say every colour of the rainbow.
What is your favourite food?
I can go from hot curries to bland semolina.  It depends on how I’m feeling.  I eat lots of fruit but I will never eat sprouts.  They taste awful and they make you fart.
What is your favourite drink?
Ice cold lager on hot days.
What is your earliest memory?
We had a family holiday in Scarborough.  I loved it.  I loved the sea and just that whole thing about being away as a happy family.  I was very young but I can’t remember exactly what age I was.
What is your happiest memory?
Anytime I have been at the seaside.  I love that rushing noise of the tide and that first ice cold splash of water on my feet.
What is your biggest worry?
I worry about wasting my life.  Three score years and ten is not a lot of years to achieve things.
What is your greatest strength?
I don’t take crap from anybody.
What is your biggest weakness?
By not taking crap from anybody, I can alienate potential friends.
Who or what do you love the most?
I love my Mum, but she’s not here anymore.  I mean, she is here in my head and in my heart, but she’s dead.
Who or what do you deplore the most?
I hate the whole idea of death, the finality of life.  If I had my way, I would apply death to all the evildoers and apply long life to the sweet, good-hearted people who make the world a better place.
What is your most treasured possession?
It’s silly but I still have my first teddy bear, given to me by my Dad on the day I was born.
What would be your ideal job?
I have no idea.  I love things to do with the arts and I like the thought of helping people but I have problems with corruption in politics and business and even charities.  I don’t know and maybe I’ll never know.  All jobs seem to have some crappy bits to them.
Where would you most like to live?
Scotland.  I have never been to Scotland but I love the images of the highlands and the poetry.  I think I could survive there either on my own or with a partner.
Do you owe your parents anything and if yes, what?
I owe them everything from my common sense to my angst.  My Dad is still a big influence on my life.  He’s strong and confident.  My mother was down to earth, loving, caring and funny.  I could not has asked for better role models.
Which famous person do you admire and why?
I love Seamus Heaney and marvel at how so much intelligence and creativity can be crammed into one single human being.  I once saw him at Kings Cross station in London.  He looked like a professor in a three-piece tweed suit.  I was two feet from him but I couldn’t pluck up the courage to talk to him.  I regret that.
On balance has your life been more satisfying or disappointing?
I think I’m destined always to feel disappointed either because other people let me down or because, worst of all, I have let myself down or not tried hard enough.
What is your greatest achievement, so far?
I can’t think of any great achievements.  I can think of lots of little ones from school sports day medals, winning crossword prizes and a disco raffle, but that’s about it.
What is the most important lesson you have learned from life?
That peace and love are two of the most fragile things on Earth.
Describe Maple Court in five words
One stop on my journey. 
MAXINE WEBB
How would you describe yourself in five words?
Honest, sensitive, loving, caring and lonely, sometimes.
What is your star sign? (Please refer to the characteristics list provided.)
I’m a Leo, which is a bit strange because I always think of lions and fierce things when I think of Leo and that’s not really me at all.  Anyway, let’s see – generous, warmhearted, creative, enthusiastic, broad-minded, expansive, faithful and loving, as well as pompous, patronising, bossy, interfering, dogmatic and intolerant.  Hmmm, I’ll have to think about all that.  I’m not too sure about the negative things. 
What is your favourite colour?
Brown, I think, because it’s a colour that seems to get a bad deal, a kind of underdog of the colour world and I always feel a bit of sympathy for underdogs.
What is your favourite food?
I can eat salad all day long, after cornflakes of course.  I eat some meat but I’m not that keen on it. 
What is your favourite drink?
I like anything really from water to lemonade to wine.  It depends on my mood, the weather, the occasion and the company I’m in.
What is your earliest memory?
I’m not sure if this is a real memory but I seem to recall lying in my cot gurgling away and every now and again my parents would pop their heads over the rail to chat to me.  I might have imagined it but it feels a real memory to me, and it always makes me smile.
What is your happiest memory?
The Christmas when I got my fist bike was the happiest day of my life.  It was a complete surprise.  I was never one of those kids who pester their parents for particular things.  I love surprises.  Another happy memory was the time my Dad presented me with a tiny, gorgeous kitten.  I called him Smudge because his nose looked just like a little black blot.
What is your biggest worry?
I worry all the time about man’s inhumanity to the animal kingdom.  I detest cruelty.
What is your greatest strength?
I have the patience of several saints.
What is your biggest weakness?
I can be too trusting.
Who or what do you love the most?
I love animals, especially dogs.
Who or what do you deplore the most?
Cruelty.
What is your most treasured possession?
It’s a picture of my first puppy playing with a ball in the garden.  My Dad took it.  Somehow, looking at the photo for any length of time makes my eyes moisten.  When she grew up, Mindy was knocked down by a car and she had to be put to sleep.  It was an awful time in my young life.
What would be your ideal job?
I’d like to be a vet or do something like Kate Humble does on TV, working with animals and being passionate about it.  I’d like to live and work in the wild.  I’ve just thought that being David Attenborough’s personal assistant wouldn’t be too shabby either.
Where would you most like to live?
Africa.
Do you owe your parents anything and if yes, what?
I suppose I owe them my thanks for a good upbringing.
Which famous person do you admire and why?
David Attenborough is my choice for his love of life.
On balance has your life been more satisfying or disappointing?
I’m fairly happy at the moment but I am getting to the point where I think I need to settle into a relationship and a career.
What is your greatest achievement, so far?
I think it was quite brave of me to leave home and go to university.  I was a timid girl, I suppose I still am in many ways.  I suppose leaving was a kind of achievement, for me anyway.
What is the most important lesson you have learned from life?
We all need to work a bit harder on kindness.
Describe Maple Court in five words
Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay.  I know that’s a cop-out but that’s how I feel. 
MATT FELLOWES
How would you describe yourself in five words?
Honest, loyal, protective, calm, boring.
What is your star sign? (Please refer to the characteristics list provided.)
Libra. It says I’m diplomatic, urbane, romantic, charming, easygoing and sociable.  I’m supposed to be idealistic, peaceful, indecisive, changeable, gullible, easily influenced, flirtatious and self-indulgent.  Some of that is a bit over the top and embarrassing but I suppose it’s mostly true.
What is your favourite colour?
White.  I like white because it is fresh and clean and a good place to start if you want to be creative and add colour or design patterns or something.  But, above all, it’s bright.  I can’t stand those mucky browns and dark purples, especially on walls and clothes.  Dull.
What is your favourite food?
My all-time favourite is sausage, egg and chips with HP sauce, bread and butter and a cup of tea.  I told you I was boring.
What is your favourite drink?
I like tea in the mornings and beer in the evenings.
What is your earliest memory?
When I was a baby, I was stung in the face by a wasp.  I was in my pram, outside in the sunshine.  My mother was hanging the washing and came running when I screamed the place down.  She told me when I was older that the wasp was still on my face when she got to the pram and she had to pick it up in her fingers.  She got stung too.
What is your happiest memory?
I always loved Sunday afternoons on the swings in the park.
What is your biggest worry?
I worry sometimes about how my life will unfold.  I’m a young man with, hopefully sixty years or more to live and anything can happen.  I would hate to end up destitute and not in a position to manage or enjoy my life.  I could do with meeting a nice girl.
What is your greatest strength?
I think I’m good at calming things down.  I’m placid by nature.
What is your biggest weakness?
People see me as this calm dude and think I am a wimp.  So I have to be on my guard or else someone will take advantage of me.  I hate being used.
Who or what do you love the most?
I love someone, a girl but I’m not ready to tell anyone yet, especially her.
Who or what do you deplore the most?
Bad manners make me angry.
What is your most treasured possession?
I love my laptop. 
What would be your ideal job?
I once had this very strong urge to become a priest because I care about people.  I’m not sure if I’ve got what it takes to work for the Church but I think I’d be good at some parts of it.  Social work, maybe.
Where would you most like to live?
I don’t really care as long as it is safe and comfortable.
Do you owe your parents anything and if yes, what?
I owe them everything.  They gave me their love and support, invested a lot of money in my education and have always been supportive.
Which famous person do you admire and why?
I like Bono and Bob Geldof, even though they are criticized for their big mouths and egos, they seem to have a knack of provoking some changes for the better.  But they both go on a it, don’t they?
On balance has your life been more satisfying or disappointing?
I’m satisfied so far but who knows what’s next.
What is your greatest achievement, so far?
I won first prize in a poetry competition three years ago.  I was chuffed.
What is the most important lesson you have learned from life?
If life begins well at home with a loving family, the foundations are set for a balanced person to grow up and do a decent job of being a human being.
Describe Maple Court in five words
Interesting, lively, affordable, snug, nice.  Remember, I am boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment